Full or part-time Position: Full-time
Location: Home-based with limited travel
Deadline for application: 24 May 2020
We are looking for a creative and energetic Community Manager to lead our community strategy and take our community to the next level. You will develop and engage the community of translators in underserved languages, manage and expand the recognition program, determine and develop training and development opportunities for the community and support community-initiated projects. You will be part of a cross-functional team that’s responsible for ensuring that people who speak marginalized languages all over the world get the information they need in a language and format they understand.
As a Community Manager, you will be comfortable working remotely with colleagues and volunteers. You will also be a team player with a can-do attitude who is passionate about building a fun, vibrant and caring community.
If you have drive and passion, experience managing people, exceptional communication skills, and a proven track record in transforming ideas into reality, we’d like to meet you.
- Develop, define and implement the TWB community strategy
- Develop, define, implement and monitor indicators to track the performance of the community team over time
- Work proactively with other teams to ensure that the TWB community strategy is aligned with organizational goals
- Collaborate with the crisis response and partnership teams to ensure that the capacity of the TWB community is aligned with current needs and anticipate future needs
- Develop systems to provide accurate information on language capacity, skills and availability
- Ensure the community user experience responds to the needs of the community and the organizational goals
- Maintain and expand the community recognition programs
- Develop and implement a robust community feedback mechanism to better understand what motivates the community and improve community representation within the organization
Engaging and communicating:
- Develop and implement a communication strategy to engage and involve the community in TWB’s mission and work.
- Ensure that the work of community members is a critical part of TWB’s wider communications internally and externally
- Create a friendly and caring environment that promotes knowledge share and promotes engagement initiatives
- Develop mechanisms for translators to actively engage with TWB’s strategies
Quality and capacity-building:
- Develop clear pathways for community members including diversified onboarding, training and skill-building for professional development
- Develop capacity-building strategies to enhance and grow our community training program
- Work with the Quality team to monitor and managing quality levels and ensure that community members understand and engage with quality processes
- Define and implement our community outreach strategy, leveraging existing relationships with academic institutions and associations
- Develop relationships with networks and organizations that can support humanitarian language services
- Develop innovative ways to expand the community including targeted outreach activities
- Manage the TWB community team, distributing the workload and identifying any criticalities
- Manage the language capacity of the organisation, interacting with teams across the organization, and developing systems and process to manage the availability and capacity of the community
- Develop and manage community policies, procedures, and standards of community service
- Evaluate all aspects of community programs to ensure effectiveness and to recommend/implement changes as appropriate
The Community Manager should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values, who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world and deploy at short notice to field locations.
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and reacts well to pressure
- Demonstrates initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning.
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- Available to travel to field locations at short notice
- 5+ years of experience either in Vendor Management or Community Management
- 7+ years of experience in a managerial role
- In-depth understanding of the language service industry
- Experience working with volunteer communities
- Experience with on-line tools, preferably in language services
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Great attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- An analytical mind
- Degree in languages and communication or relevant field
The ideal candidate has a very strong background in language and/or communications, experience in the humanitarian or development sectors, and an ability to be strategic about how our community can both support and drive the organizational vision. The successful candidate will be a dynamic team player, proactive with the ability to understand and contribute to organizational strategy, and able to ensure that the right priorities are set for the language services team.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.