Internships at CLEAR Global
Contract length: 6 months (renewable once)
Hours: Full-time or part-time
Application deadline: Ongoing
Compensation: Our interns receive a 500 USD/month stipend for full-time commitment.
CLEAR Global is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
Are you interested in the work of CLEAR Global? Are you looking to gain experience? An internship at CLEAR Global is an excellent opportunity for an energetic candidate to gain experience of the wide range of tasks that make up the backbone of not-for-profit work.
This is a general call for internship applications. We will create a pool of candidates to draw upon for the coming year.
Types of internships and intern profiles we look for
- Language Services Project Management Intern: language students/recent graduates who want to gain experience working in language service operations. Responsibilities include managing specific language service projects, tracking project progress and delivery, keeping project trackers up-to-date, and providing regular status updates to Partner Coordinators and Project Officers.
- Language Services Systems and Processes Intern: advanced students/recent graduates in translation or localization, with a keen interest in technology and workflow development. Responsibilities include collaboration in documenting, implementing and carrying out necessary activities for the provision of language services to non-profit partner organizations. These may relate to topics such as terminology, desktop publishing, plain language, quality management, machine translation, localization, among others.
- Community Interns: students/recent graduates with an interest in languages and also humanitarian work, an interest in managing communities, etc. Responsibilities include maintaining effective communication with community members (TWB volunteer translators), ensuring they remain engaged and have a clear understanding of expectations and ensuring they are supported. Assisting with outreach to new community members, both strategically and in response to crises.
Research, Evidence, and Advocacy (RAD) team
- RAD internships are for candidates with excellent English writing skills and an interest in advocating for people’s ability to access the information they need and make themselves heard, no matter what language they speak. Responsibilities include monitoring and analyzing the latest developments in humanitarian policy and practice related to CLEAR Global’s advocacy priorities and ensuring this information is shared with relevant colleagues in a timely manner; creating and maintaining contact databases, repositories of research and stories, and calendars of upcoming events and opportunities.
- International Programs internships are for candidates who are interested in providing support during sudden-onset emergencies, doing tasks such as fact finding, partner outreach, proposal drafting, team mobilization, and other key activities. Strong administrative skills are needed, and other languages are a strong asset. Responsibilities include supporting the planning and delivery of program activities such as webinars, research, data collection, monitoring. This includes logistical support for travel, accommodation, visas, etc during international program activities. In sudden-onset emergencies, contribute to fact finding, partner outreach, proposal drafting, team mobilization and other key activities.
- Candidates with an interest in technology who are innovative problem-solvers. Responsibilities include gaining knowledge in using and developing digital tools used by the tech team, supporting the tech team on reporting, measurement and tracking of progress, providing feedback to developers on usability of tools, and coordinating machine translation evaluation.
- HR internships are ideally suited to candidates with an interest in HR who have strong organisational skills and can provide support with administrative tasks, recruitment, contract preparation and renewals, as well as finance.
- Finance interns have an interest in different areas of finance and are studying or have recently graduated from a finance related course. Responsibilities include processing of payments and receipts including the reconciliation to the CRM system, reconciliation of bank accounts and balance sheet items. The processing of payments includes purchase orders, supplier invoices, expense claims, credit card returns, involves preparing batch payment uploads and using CLEAR Global’s online systems. Finance Interns may also support HR.
- Communications internships are for students/recent graduates that have studied a communications related field. Responsibilities include supporting the success of CLEAR Global email communications; creating, managing, and updating email response workflow, templates, and guide; and responding to social media messages on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and other platforms as we grow.
The right candidate is an energetic team player who agrees with CLEAR Global’s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
Essential skills and competences
- Graduated from latest diploma/degree within the last 2 years
- Excellent organisational skills
- Keen interest in information management, improving efficiency through processes
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Willingness to get to grips with new technologies
- Able to manage multiple tasks and a busy workload
- Capacity to work independently to achieve agreed targets
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and spoken English
- Proficiency in other languages an asset
Desirable skills and competences
- Previous experience in project support in non-profit organizations, particularly in development and/or humanitarian action
Successful candidates will need to have access to a stable internet connection and a computer.
If you feel you would be a good fit for an internship at CLEAR Global, please apply with a cover letter describing why, what type(s) of internship you would be interested in, and what you would hope to learn from your internship. Please also include an updated CV.
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 80,000 community members translate millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
CLEAR Global may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.