Language Services Senior Quality Officer
Contract length: Open-ended
Salary range: 3,200-3,600 USD/month
Application deadline: February 3, 2022
Translators without Borders (TWB) is committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- the flexibility of home-based/remote work
- accommodation and per diems when on deployment
- annual leave and floating holidays
The Language Services Senior Quality Officer (SQO) ensures that the Language Services Team (LST) provides quality services to partners in an efficient manner while staying true to TWB’s overall mission. In addition the SQO collaborates with the Community Team to implement improved processes and systems for quality management within the community including effective feedback mechanisms. The SQO collaborates with other team members in the LST to ensure community and processes are fit for purpose. Reports to the LS Process & Technology Coordinator.
- Support the Process & Technology Coordinator in the definition of TWB’s quality strategy, addressing the needs of both major and marginalized languages
- Design, document and implement quality processes in line with the quality strategy, in collaboration with the Process & Technology Coordinator
- Liaise with the Operations Team to monitor, support and ensure TWB language services comply with quality procedures. Where necessary, make recommendations to improve them
- Analyze, manage and report on non compliance issues relating to negative feedback
- Work with the Operations Team and Partnership Development Team to monitor and manage partner satisfaction
- Monitor quality metrics, report on them regularly and in a timely manner, and make recommendations to improve them
- Handle other quality-related tasks as assigned
- Collaborate with the Community Team in designing quality management procedures adequate to the evolving needs and capacities of different language speakers.
- Support the Community Team with onboarding, assessing and monitoring the performance of the TWB community
- Develop mechanisms to ensure TWB community members receive appropriate and constructive feedback
- Collaborate on training and other similar initiatives to build the skills and expertise of TWB communities
- Report on team metrics accurately and in a timely manner
- Work within the language services team and wider organization to build cross-team coherency
- Participate in organization-wide discussions, contributing actively
- Reliably and actively collaborate with colleagues towards the achievements of the team
Performs other tasks as assigned. Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and implementing agencies.
The LS Senior Quality Officer should be a creative self-starter with a strong sense of initiative, experienced in language services, and enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language and technology. The right candidate is an energetic team player, who agrees with TWBs values, and is comfortable in working virtually with global teams and team members around the world.
- Detail-oriented and thorough, able to meet deadlines and deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrates initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning
- Good interpersonal skills: able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment; experience with community motivation and how communities can be engaged and kept active
- Ability to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- Proficient in standard software applications, including Office suites (MS Office, LibreOffice, G-Suite), web browsing tools (Chrome, Firefox, Edge), email and other communication platforms (Gmail, Slack).
- University Degree in linguistic/translation related studies
- Knowledge of language industry standards, trends and technologies (particularly related to quality management)
- 5+ years of relevant experience in the industry
- Humanitarian and/or development experience a plus
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, other languages would be an asset
TWB recognizes the importance of precise language in communication and translation, and works to build communities, teams and services that facilitate vital two-way communication between the people affected and humanitarian responders. This happens both remotely and on the ground. This has the potential to shift the power dynamic in emergencies and international development contexts, placing control of communication and information access in the hands of the people in need of support.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.