RFP: Research Assistant – UX research with migrants
Contract length: Up to 6 days
Duration: To be completed by October 22, 2021
Location: One of these countries: Argentina, Honduras, Kyrgyzstan or Morocco
Application deadline: Rolling basis until positions are filled
CLEAR Global is an equal-opportunity employer, is committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious . beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
About the MigApp research project
CLEAR Global/Translators Without Borders is seeking Research Assistants for a project conducting user experience (UX) research and interviews with migrants. Research Assistants will contribute to research we are conducting in support of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) as it seeks to understand how migrants use its mobile application MigApp and how it might improve the user experience of the product.
Candidates must be located in, and fluent in the local language of, one of the following four countries:
We are seeking two researchers per country. Research assistants working in pairs are encouraged to apply. Please indicate in your application if you are applying with another applicant.
Working in teams of two, Research Assistants will conduct research with six migrants in their country, supported by CLEAR/TWB and IOM to identify participants. They will work with research tools (interview guide, UX testing activities) developed by CLEAR/TWB. They will:
- Attend a training session with CLEAR/TWB on research tools
- Coordinate with local contacts in-country to identify participants
- As applicable, translate or oversee translation of research tools, participant information form and consent form into relevant languages of migrant participants
- Conduct six two-hour sessions, with one migrant each, that include an interview and a series of UX testing activities
- Follow-up with participants to share results, as requested
- Respond to questions from CLEAR/TWB throughout the process
- Attend a debriefing session after data collection is finalized
- Recordings and transcriptions, notes and data from interviews and UX testing results (ensuring transcriptions and notes are translated to English before submission)
- All other documents and data related to this research project, including consent forms
- One-page summary of findings
Research Assistants must have a background in one or both of the following:
- User experience testing
- Qualitative social science research
Researchers should have experience working with migrants and/or refugees, or with other vulnerable populations. Those who do not have a background in user experience testing should be able to demonstrate that they are familiar and comfortable with technology and can competently discuss a mobile application with users. Other relevant experience (documented): mobile app development, product management, UX design or design thinking.
Researchers must supply their own mobile device and recording device.
They will be responsible for adhering to CLEAR’s COVID-19 mitigation strategy and for following local guidelines and restrictions related to COVID-19.
About CLEAR Global
CLEAR Global exists to help people get vital information, and be heard, whatever language they speak. We believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Our network of over 60,000 linguists translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
CLEAR Global employees and volunteers are people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. CLEAR Global’s mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, CLEAR Global is a leader in the translation industry and in the nonprofit sector.
- Integrity: CLEAR Global believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: CLEAR Global believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: CLEAR Global recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: CLEAR Global recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
CLEAR Global may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.