Contract length: 3 months, with a possibility of extension
Travel: None foreseen in the 3-month period; possible in the event of an extension
Reporting to: Global Researcher
Application deadline: November 1st, 2021
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays per year (pro rata)
- flexible home-working
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and if the ideal candidate is identified before the closing date, CLEAR Global/TWB reserves the right to close the recruitment before the application deadline.
The Research Officer will support the Global Researcher and program teams to build an evidence base on language and communication issues in humanitarian action and international development. They will be responsible for remotely supporting the design and implementation of mixed-methods research projects to CLEAR Global/Translators without Borders standards. This will include advising on research plans on the basis of CLEAR Global/TWB guidance, and supporting information management, logistics and administration of research, and report writing. The Research Officer will also support as needed on the development of new guidance and methodologies. The role can evolve, so flexibility and the willingness to adapt to changing circumstances is crucial.
- Support the Global Researcher to promote understanding of CLEAR Global/TWB research standards and procedures among program teams and external consultants
- Review research plans and tools against CLEAR Global/TWB standards and provide feedback and support to program teams on adapting them where needed
- Support the development of data collection tools and new research guidance and methodologies where the need arises
- Ensure accurate documentation of research activities and outcomes
- Support the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data and research reporting
- Support the coordination and facilitation of remote focus group discussions, key informant interviews and surveys related to language, comprehension and community engagement
- Organize and maintain research files, ensure all documentation is appropriately filed in the TWB Google Drive
- Provide logistics and administrative support to researchers and external consultants
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and requirements
- At least three years’ research experience, including research data entry, quality control, analysis and interpretation, and visualization
- Bachelor’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Professional spoken and written communication skills in English and French
- Proficiency in additional languages relevant to crisis/humanitarian assistance a plus
- International development or humanitarian experience preferred
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and reliably, to a high standard and to tight deadlines
- Good organizational skills and strong ethical principles
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team
- Resilience, flexibility, and a good sense of humor
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.