Graphic Design Intern
Contract length: 6-months
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Remote ( home based)
Application deadline: Jan 12 2019
Background: TWB offers a six-month internship with the opportunity to work for a thriving international non-profit organization and build a substantial portfolio.
The Role: To build awareness of Translators without Borders and the organization’s work to increase access to critical information and knowledge, the successful candidate will support the Senior Communications Officer in the following areas:
- Assist in the design and development of layouts for programmatic and marketing materials, including policy papers, research reports, social media graphics, infographics, and other marketing materials
- Design digital assets for owned media platforms, staying up-to-date on platform-specific best practices
- Use existing brand standards to develop new templates and design standards
- Visualize humanitarian data, quotes, stories, and insights
- Source photography and other assets when needed
- Develop internal communications templates and alternative creative options as required
- Provide video editing support when needed
- Any other duties as assigned
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a University degree program: Graphic Design, Digital Arts, Interactive/Media Design, or similar field
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
- Excellent layout, typography, photo editing, and organizational skills
- Proficient in and has access to Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Must have personal laptop/computer
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate effectively as a team member
- Ability to be resourceful and creative when working with a limited image library
- Should be open-minded, a fast learner, enthusiastic, and adaptable
- Simple video editing skills
Most importantly the chosen candidate will have an interest in helping TWB meet its mission to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language.
About Translators without Borders: Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partners and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.