Contract length: open-ended
Travel: up to 6 weeks/year
Deadline: 31 October 2019
TWB is looking to further develop its technology expertise to drive the development of technologies to better support speakers of marginalized languages.
In order to make this happen, TWB is looking to recruit a Chief Technology Officer, reporting to the Executive Director.
You love learning:
- You take an analytical, data-driven approach to problem solving
- You’re curious and want to understand how things work so that you can make them better
- You’re eager to collaborate and learn from different people, from developers and field workers to the disadvantaged people we are trying to support
You know how to lead:
- You understand the “big picture” of the work you’re doing
- You empower your team and help others to make the best use of your work
- You want to contribute to the organization’s strategy and fundraising
- You create opportunities across teams to make best use of a wide range of technology
You build great product:
- Although you understand how things work, you’re more focused on the “what” than the “how” – building technology which is both obviously and intuitively useful and usable
- You’re comfortable with modern agile development strategies and continuous development approaches
- You have experience in building and deploying cloud-based mobile applications
- You have experience in collecting large data sets, machine learning, especially for natural language processing applications
You make things simple:
- You can breakdown problems and identify where to start in order to quickly deliver impact
- You can turn complex ideas and concepts into language anyone can understand
- You can translate data and insights into solutions that address real world problems
You love teamwork:
- You’re comfortable working with remote and globally distributed teams
- You’re good at creating and managing teams with diverse areas of expertise
- You can set measurable goals and manage to them
- You build strong and trusting relationships
- You have a good understanding of data privacy issues (GDPR and beyond)
- You’re hands on and willing to do what is needed to help the team
- You care about social issues — these are the problems you want to solve
The ideal candidate has a very strong background in language technology, experience in the humanitarian or development sectors, and an ability to be strategic about how technology can both support and drive the organizational direction. The successful candidate will be a dynamic team player, proactive with the ability to offer structured guidance on a strategic level, and able to ensure that the right priorities are set for the organization within a broader program.
- Some experience as head of technology or equivalent
- Experience with language technology
- Management experience in an international setting,
- Experience in non-profit organization
- Experience in developing country
- In-depth experience in language services/localization
- Thorough understanding of business processes
- Deep understanding of communications and language technologies
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.