Contract length: 6 months, with the possibility of a 6-month extension
Hours: 20 to 40, depending on availability
Location: Home-based (available during CET core working hours)
Deadline for applications: January 31, 2021
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to raise awareness of language barriers, build local language translation capacity, and develop language technology.
TWB offers a six-month internship with the opportunity to gain valuable experience within a thriving international non-profit organization.
Assist the Community team in engaging a volunteer community of over 50,000 language professionals, coordinate collaboration among volunteers, ensure healthy growth of the volunteer community, as well as timely and effective communication.
- Maintain effective communication with community members, ensuring they remain engaged and have a clear understanding of expectations
- Assist with outreach to new community members, both strategically and in response to crisis
- Support community members in their experience with TWB, coordinating testing as applicable and ensuring that various community programs and processes run efficiently
- Carry out administrative tasks, data entry and data collection
- Handle other community management tasks as assigned
- Act in the best interest of the organization during the internship period
- Other duties as required
- Enrolled in or recently graduated (within the last 2 years) from a University degree program (preferred degree in translation, communication, or a related field)
- Fluent in spoken and written English; knowledge of other languages an advantage
- Strong communication skills, with particular awareness of intercultural contexts
- Previous experience in translation and/or interpreting (internships and volunteering are considered valid experiences) an advantage
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations an advantage
- Familiarity with technology (with a special focus on translation and/or data entry tools) a plus
This internship position is very dynamic. The right person is an energetic team player and an individual who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work productively in a remote setting, while interacting regularly with the international team.
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Strong organizational skills
- Analytical thinker able to transform ideas into tangible actions
- Understands that communication in the right language is key to improved humanitarian response
- Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated
- Interested in acquiring translation and community management experience
- Able to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly
- Has enthusiasm for humanitarian work
- Reliable and flexible and has the ability to uphold the Core Values of the organization
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.