The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation and interpreting, building language translation capacity at a local level, providing translation and simplification services that are culturally appropriate, accessible and open source, and raising awareness globally of language barriers.
Contract length: 6 months
Hours: 20 to 40, depending on availability
Location: Remote (available during CET core working hours)
Application deadline: 01 February 2020
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate may be selected at any stage before the closing date.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
In 2013, TWB created the first-ever crisis relief translation service, Words of Relief (WoR), an initiative that intends to improve communications between crisis-affected communities and humanitarian responders before, during, and after a crisis, by eliminating linguistic barriers that can impede vital relief efforts. Words of Relief has since been used to respond to humanitarian crises every year.
TWB offers a six-month internship with the opportunity to gain valuable experience within a thriving international non-profit organization.
To assist the Community and Recruitment teams build and engage a volunteer community of over 30,000 language professionals, coordinating collaboration among translators, ensuring engagement, recruitment and growth of the volunteer community, as well as timely and effective communication.
- Maintain effective communication with volunteer translators, ensuring that translators remain engaged and have a clear understanding of expectations;
- Assist with volunteer translator recruitment, both strategically and in response to crisis;
- Assist the Community Management team in processing volunteer translator applications, coordinating translator testing and ensuring that various volunteer community programs run smoothly;
- Carry out administrative tasks, data entry and data collection;
- Handle other community management tasks as assigned;
- Act in the best interest of the organization during the internship period;
- Other duties as required
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a University degree program (preferred degree in translation, communication, or a related field)
- Excellent command of English, both oral and written. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
- Strong communication skills, with a particular focus on intercultural contexts;
- Previous experience in translation and/or interpreting (internships and volunteering are considered valid experiences) is an advantage;
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations is an advantage;
- Familiarity with technology (with a special focus on translation and/or data entry tools) a plus.
This internship position is very dynamic. The right person is an energetic team player and an individual who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely, while interacting regularly with the international team.
- Self-starter and able to work independently;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Analytical thinker able to transform ideas into tangible actions;
- Understands that communication in the right language is key to improved humanitarian response;
- Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated;
- Interested in acquiring translation and community management experience;
- Able to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly;
- Has enthusiasm for humanitarian work;
- Reliable and flexible and has the ability to uphold the Core Values of the organization.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.