The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation, training of translators, best use of technology, and building translation capacity in underserved languages.
Contract length: 12 months (secondment cover)
Full or Part-time Position: Full-time
Travel: Minimal (less than 20%) short-term deployments to country offices
Deadline of Application: 24 June 2019
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and if the ideal candidate is identified before the closing date, TWB reserves the right to close the recruitment before the application deadline.
Reporting to the Partnership Team Manager, the Crisis Response Partner Coordinator collaborates closely with key stakeholders across the Language Services Team and Crisis Response Team to ensure timely delivery of language services relating to TWB’s Crisis Response operations.
- Collaborate closely with the Crisis Response Team and the Fundraising Team to develop and manage the relationships with NGO partners by understanding and anticipating future language service needs.
- Monitor and manage the expectations and satisfaction of Crisis Response Partners.
- Collaborate with in-country team members to proactively support partners and identify growth opportunities.
Crisis Response Language Service Management
- Act as the lead focal member among the Language Services Team in planning and managing Crisis Response language services.
- Supervise the Crisis Response Translation Project Officer(s) and intern(s), distributing the workload evenly across the team, and ensuring sufficient round-the-clock coverage, and sufficient capacity to manage sudden onset crises.
- Manage the entire life-cycle of multiple translation projects in a fast-paced environment delegating to team members as appropriate.
- Liaise between the in-country Crisis Team members to ensure audio and text data is managed and stored on TWB’s centralized systems.
- Monitor the status of Crisis Response language service projects and pre-empt potential risks to delivery
- Prepare and maintain project and team documentation
- Set up and test systems that may enhance TWB’s ability to respond quickly
- Set up and test new systems and processes for improving the impact of TWB’s Crisis Response Translation service
- Manage and maintain global crisis response language tools such as the Crisis glossaries, preparedness material or other global tools.
- Work with the Crisis and the Technology teams to initiate or support the development of innovative language tools for partners, and contribute to monitoring the impact and reach of crisis language services.
- Work together with the Quality and Process Manager to ensure the quality of language services in a crisis.
- Comply with relevant and applicable procedures for quality assurance.
- Perform quality checks at various stages of process to ensure quality and accuracy (proofreading, final eye).
Coordination of Language Leads
- Manage remote crisis Language Leads.
- Provide training and guidance to ensure compliance with TWB systems, procedures and processes.
- Assign tasks by reconciling available capacity with the priorities of the Crisis Response Team.
- Monitor ongoing tasks and ensure timely delivery from Language Leads.
- Support the Language Leads to build and engage language communities in the languages identified by the Crisis Response Team while ensuring that new translators are screened, tested and trained according to TWB Quality standards and processes.
- Work with the recruitment and community team to anticipate future needs and ensure sufficient capacity according to available forecasts.
- Report on team metrics accurately and in a timely manner.
- Work within the Language Services Team and wider organization to build cross-team coherency.
- Participate in organization-wide discussions, contributing actively.
- Reliably and actively collaborate with colleagues towards the achievements of the organization.
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
The Crisis Response Partner Coordinator should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and reacts well to pressure
- Demonstrates initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning.
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- 3-5 years experience in translation project management
- Experience working with volunteers and small teams
- Experience as a team leader with the ability to manage a remote team
- Good knowledge of language technology including CAT tools, MT, QA Tools
- Good knowledge of standard Microsoft Windows applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer
- Previous experience with nonprofit organizations, particularly in disaster relief
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills; knowledge of French is desirable
- University Degree in linguistic/translation related studies
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the nonprofit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.