Contract length: Open ended
Hours: Full time, part-time possible for the right candidate
Location: Home-based, ideally working Central European hours
Deadline for applications: 10 February 2020
TWB is looking to further develop its fundraising expertise to drive the organization toward greater financial sustainability to better achieve our mission to support speakers of marginalized languages.
In order to make this happen, TWB is recruiting a Development Officer, reporting to the Head of Fundraising and Communications.
We are looking for either:
- a motivated, highly qualified part-time person who wants to work with a dynamic and fun team, but needs flexible hours and prefers working at home OR
- an energetic fast-learner to work full-time from home who is familiar with fundraising techniques, but needs the right job to take your skills to the next level.
Either way, TWB is looking for you, if:
You love learning:
- You take an analytical, data-driven approach to problem-solving
- You’re curious and want to understand why people give, and what motivates them
- You’re eager to collaborate and learn from different people, from language technologists and field workers to the marginalized people we are trying to support
You know how to be creative:
- You understand the “big picture” of the work you’re doing
- You ask questions and continually try new ideas until you find one that works
- You want to contribute to the organization’s strategy and fundraising
- You create opportunities across teams to find new ways to raise funds and tell our story
You do your homework:
- You research backgrounds, motivations, and past recipients of potential donors
- You work with senior managers to determine their strengths and figure out ways to support them to raise funds
- You talk to peers and counterparts, read articles, and investigate what works for others
You love teamwork:
- You’re comfortable working with remote and globally distributed teams
- You’re good at creating strong relationships with people with diverse areas of expertise
- You can set measurable goals, monitor them and work to them
- You’re hands on and willing to do what is needed to help the team
- You care about social issues — these are the problems you want to solve
The ideal candidate has a strong background in corporate and foundation fundraising, experience in the humanitarian or development sectors, and a knack for understanding what motivates people. The successful candidate will be a dynamic team player, proactive with the ability to take structured guidance and able to ensure that his/her work fits with priorities for the organization.
- Work with senior managers to develop private sector, high net worth, and foundation fundraising strategy
- Develop and maintain relationships with private sector foundations and trusts, with senior managers
- Support board fundraising efforts
- Work in tandem with program staff, TWB’s advocacy efforts, and other members of TWB’s global team to gather metrics and evidence of TWB’ impact.
- Support campaigns and engagement with high net worth individuals, companies, and philanthropists
- Explore and develop revenue boosting strategies such as recurring monthly donors and planned giving.
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities, international relations, development or relevant field.
- 1-3 years experience in fundraising (for the full-time role) or 5-7 years (for the part-time role) with proven track record in developing at least one income stream.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills. Writing sample will be required.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and producing quality content for fundraising campaigns, website copy, proposals and communications with donors.
- Familiarity with unrestricted funding streams and fundraising strategies.
- Resourceful, creative and able to take initiative.
- Strong computer skills, including spreadsheets and database management.
- Demonstrated interest in language, and commitment to TWB’s values.
- International experience.
- Experience with high net worth, private sector and/or foundation fundraising.
- Experience using CRM and communications tools, such as Salesforce, Neon, WordPress, MailChimp, design programs, and cloud software.
- Experience with capital and multi-year fundraising campaigns.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.