Contract length: 6 months
Hours: 20-40 hours, negotiable depending on availability
Location: Home based, preferably in Europe
Application deadline: Monday 11th March 2019
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date.
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
The TWB Development/Fundraising team oversees all unrestricted and earned income that helps the organization to deliver on its mission. This includes individual donations from supporters, sponsorships from companies and partnership income; the fees paid by NGO partners to receive translation support from TWB.
TWB is offering a six-month internship to work as part of this small and dynamic team in the areas of administration, research, outreach, and fundraising. The candidate will gain valuable experience in a thriving international non-profit organization, learning about everything from not-for-profit humanitarian and development sector, to business development and income tracking techniques.
The Fundraising & Partnerships intern will support the Development/Fundraising team to administer and onboard new potential NGO partners for TWB’s language services, as well as carrying out other tasks related to individual and corporate donors, sponsors and supporters. The role will involve using CRM (constituent relationship management) database tools, written communications, and web-based research to support TWB’s fundraising goals.
- Administration of prospective non-profit partners during the onboarding process;
- Use TWB’s website back-end and our CRM to monitor and process new applications each week;
- Contact applicants to request/chase eligibility information and documents;
- Discuss any eligibility issues with TWB colleagues;
- Pass on the contact to colleagues in the team (Development Officer and Senior Development Officer) to proceed with setting up the package;
- Research new prospective non-profit partners which might need translation support. Look at national lists/umbrella organizations/membership bodies of NGOs and use other research techniques to establish potential targets, checking if these are already known to TWB using the CRM;
- Merge old and new contacts from the same organization;
- Work with Development Officer to reach out to the best prospects with initial information about TWB’s translation services;
- Research new prospective corporate sponsors or donors which might support TWB, using lists of private sector language service providers/translation agencies and other resources;
- Research other companies which are likely to be interested in TWB’s work, e.g. which have a large tech/language/localization function or interest in humanitarian Corporate Social Responsibility;
- Establish a list of potential targets and checking if they are already known to TWB using Neon;
- Share the best prospects with the team (Development Officer and Senior Development Officer).
- Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a University degree program (preferably with a degree in the field of languages, communications or marketing);
- Excellent command of English, both oral and written. Knowledge of or interest in other languages is an advantage;
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations and particularly in the fundraising arena would be a real advantage;
- Familiarity with technology (with a special focus on data entry tools and cloud computing platforms) would be a plus.
The right person will be an energetic team player who agrees with TWB´s core beliefs and values and who can work remotely while interacting regularly with the team.
- Reliable and flexible self-starter with the ability to work independently;
- Strong organizational and admin skills;
- Strong research skills;
- Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated;
- Interested in acquiring fundraising experience;
- Able to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly;
- Has enthusiasm for humanitarian work and the values of TWB.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.