Want to lead an aid project named after the Slavic goddess of knowledge and wisdom, working with some of the most advanced technology?
Then this job is for you.
The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people with access to vital knowledge in their language. We do this by building language technology, increasing language translation capacity at a local level, providing language and simplification services that are culturally appropriate, accessible and open source, and raising awareness globally of language barriers.
Contract length: one-year, open-ended
Hours: Full time
Location: Home-based, flexible; (GMT to GMT+2 preferred)
Travel: Minimal – 3 weeks/year
Application Deadline: 31 March 2019
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date.
Translators without Borders is looking for a unique candidate who can steer its new initiative focused on machine translation for marginalized languages. The initiative, which is called Gamayun: The Language Equality Initiative, has been prototyped with a small project focused on Levantine Arabic. The intent is to expand the languages, data and use cases, build more partnerships, and funding to expand the initiative significantly in 2019. TWB is looking for a motivated candidate who can oversee the start-up and growth into a major initiative, leading internal and external stakeholders, and bring new perspectives on how speakers of marginalized languages can benefit from language technology, data/content development, and new partnerships. The position is a part of TWB’s leadership team and reports to the Executive Director.
- Lead thinking, development, and implementation of the first humanitarian/development project to bring language technology to bear for speakers of marginalized languages.
- Work closely with the head of technology, head of language services and executive director to bring cutting edge language technology to best use for humanitarian/development purposes
- Push the boundaries of traditional aid thinking about how vulnerable and marginalized people get and use information and knowledge.
- Develop and adapt program strategies based on new learning, new developments, and new technologies.
- Oversee the implementation of the Gamayun program including defining the process architecture and project objectives
- Maintain and adapt project work plans as initiatives receive funding
- Support the recruitment of team members, including some direct reports and some who are a part of other internal teams (language services and technology, primarily)
- Clarify project parameters and negotiate deadlines with partners.
- Organize and lead internal project team that will include language leads and assistance from the head of technology and the head of language services.
- Organize and lead the external project team, including machine translation engineer, integration engineer, and Advisory Group. Establish and maintain excellent relationships with all partners.
- Assure consistent and timely collaboration and communication among the team and the funder; report on progress.
- Manage the flow of information between all members of the project.
- Maintain project accounting and develop internal and external reporting
Advocacy and development:
- Build awareness of the Gamayun initiative among new partners and potential funders.
- Work with internal team to develop a corpus of content to be used for development of parallel datasets.
- Lead on developing funding proposals, working with the head of fundraising.
- Work with the executive director and head of fundraising to develop overall plan and target budget for expansion of Gamayun.
- Research and develop compendium of competitive and complementary voice and text solutions to increase data collection in marginalized languages.
- Develop use case abstracts to be used in expanding Gamayun.
- Ensure that legal parameters are known and help assure compliance of data collection and use.
- Lead on developing sustainability strategies for the initiative.
- Develop content for external use to promote the vision, status and use cases surrounding the initiative
The Project Manager should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely with team members based throughout the world.
- 7+ years project management experience
- Preferred experience in language and/or communications technologies and an awareness of innovations within the language technology industry
- Background in working with big data, artificial intelligence, and/or machine learning (strongly preferred).
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Proactive in identifying needs and opportunities, and leading ways to respond to them
- Analytical skills to take the project to the next level
- Demonstrated experience leading external teams for best performance
- Experience in developing new partner relationships
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations preferred, particularly in humanitarian action
- Strong writing skills
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately in the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the organization’s mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.