Hours: Full time
Location: Home based, preferable available during working hours in Europe
Application deadline: 16 June 2019
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and if the ideal candidate is identified before the closing date, TWB reserves the right to close the recruitment before the application deadline.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a professional community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year. In 2013, TWB created the first-ever crisis relief translation service, Words of Relief, which has responded to crises every year since.
The Head of Development/Fundraising and Communications will develop and implement the global fundraising and communication strategy for TWB in close collaboration with the Executive Director. The ultimate goal is to help TWB achieve long-term sustainability and reach core stakeholders with its vision of a world where knowledge knows no language barriers.
The post holder will be a part of the leadership team. S/he will manage a small team.
The right candidate will develop new funding opportunities to grow TWB’s long-term sustainable unrestricted funding base as well as to fund new innovations/initiatives. S/he will work closely with program, language services, and technology teams to develop new and creative fundraising and influencing strategies and to ensure the positioning and profile-raising of TWB with the right audiences. S/he will be responsible for putting in place the adequate structure and processes for the efficient management of fundraising, donor relations and communications activities.
The Head of Development/Fundraising and Communications will lead development, fundraising and communications across the organization, overseeing the development and implementation of relevant plans and strategies. S/he will be expected to:
Development and Fundraising:
- Create and implement our global strategy for fundraising, with a special focus on unrestricted funding, individuals (through campaigns, events, corporate employee giving), philanthropists and private sector engagement
- Structure our work with external volunteer fundraisers (with specific packages, support and ensuring they’re accountable and in-line with TWB’s core messages)
- Advise the leadership on innovative communications and fundraising tools, ensuring integration across the organization.
- Research, build donor intelligence and pipelines, develop, and secure funding for new programs and innovations from corporations, foundations, trusts
- Ensure proper processes and systems are in place to support efficient and timely donor relations
- Advise program teams on proposals and review grant proposals and proposals with support from program teams.
- Oversee the earned income funding stream from partnership packages.
- Support fundraising team during annual renewal process with partners; lead costing of non-profit partner packages.
- Lead board fundraising efforts.
- Lead strategic marketing and communications plans and policies in support of TWB’s organizational goals
- Lead the analysis of relevant audiences and development of key messages
- Oversee the restructure of the website and the creation of collaterals
- Ensure proper processes and systems are in place to support efficient and timely development of publications, newsletters, collaterals and campaigns
- Ensure excellent relationships with key regional and international journalists, and with representatives of other NGOs, etc.
- Proactively seek opportunities for the furthering of TWB messaging.
- Identify and help develop talking points/Q&As for potential sensitive issues and inform the leadership team.
- Support the TWB Board and Executive Director to monitor agreed benchmarks.
TWB is seeking an energetic team player with experience in fundraising and communications in the international humanitarian or development sector. The right candidate is comfortable working on tight schedules and budget, in a fast-paced environment in a remote-working setting. S/he should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities, master’s preferred.
- 5-10 years’ experience in fundraising and communications in an international setting.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills. Writing sample will be required.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and producing quality content for fundraising proposals, media and multi-faceted communications.
- Demonstrated experience in building and managing diversified funding streams, especially individual donors (campaigns and HNWI), foundations and corporations.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated interest in language issues.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using online CRM tools and communications tools, such as Neon, WordPress, MailChimp and/or design programs.
- Willingness to work in a small team with a range of team members.
- Willingness to explore different outreach mechanisms, electronic and in person.
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Demonstrated initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning
- Ability to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.