The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation and interpreting, building language translation capacity at a local level, providing translation and simplification services that are culturally appropriate, accessible and open source, and raising awareness globally of language barriers.
Contract length: open-ended
Hours: Full time
Location: Home based
Application deadline: 18 February 2019
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
In 2013, TWB created the first-ever crisis relief translation service, Words of Relief (WoR), an initiative that intends to improve communications between crisis-affected communities and humanitarian responders before, during, and after a crisis, by eliminating linguistic barriers that can impede vital relief efforts. Words of Relief has since been used to respond to humanitarian crises every year.
TWB has seen a period of rapid growth in the last 2-3 years and hence our Finance and Administration department is changing and growing! We are looking for an energetic Human Resources Officer who can take on the day-to-day activities but can also work with the whole TWB team to develop new ideas and processes.
The Human Resources Officer will work closely with the HR manager and other managers to ensure efficient and professional human resources operations of the organization. She/he will identify and develop appropriate and, where needed, innovative human resource initiatives that promote the welfare and safety of TWB team members, strengthen the organization and are designed for a largely remote team.
- Implement, maintain and monitor human resources processes and procedures, including recruitment, contract preparation and renewals, leave , timesheets, onboarding and separation.
- Support the roll-out of new HR policies and procedures, including a performance management system, salary and benefits structures that are suited to the culture and nature of the organization.
- Advise staff on day to day interpretation and implementation of HR policies
- Support HR Manager with organizing, recording, following up and liaising with team members
- Assist with payroll preparation and safeguard ongoing smooth coordination with Finance
- Ensure all human resources systems are documented, current and filed appropriately
- Develop and manage volunteer and intern programs and assist with volunteer management, including supporting Erasmus and university work placements.
- Ensure all HR processes and decision-making are fair and free from any kind of prejudice
- Provide budgeting, forecasting, reporting support and advice when so required.
- Actively participate in building a culture that will ensure the organization is positive, proactive and well placed to respond to a changing environment.
- Manage access to organizational systems
- Support induction processes and provide some administrative support, as requested.
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
The Human Resources Officer should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely with team members based throughout the world.
- Creative and proactive in finding new solutions; willing to explore and work with new technologies
- Proactive desire to support remote team
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets and small teams
- Experienced and organized
- Experience managing volunteers a plus
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations a plus
- Previous experience with a US-based organization a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 2 years experience in Human Resources functions
- Proficient in office management systems and procedures
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, Google Docs; CRMs, evidence of learning new technologies
- Language or translation experience preferred
- Fluency in English; proficiency in French desired
- Humanitarian/Development experience preferred
- Background in training and/or capacity development
- Demonstrated writing experience
- Track record working with volunteers and small teams
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.