The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation and interpreting, building language translation capacity at a local level, providing translation and simplification services that are culturally appropriate, accessible and open-source, and raising awareness globally of language barriers.
Contract length: 4 to 6 months
Hours: 20 to 40, depending on availability
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Deadline: 31 January 2020
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate may be selected at any stage before the closing date
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
TWB offers an internship with the opportunity to gain valuable experience within a thriving international non-profit organization. This vacancy is intended for students and recent graduates who wish to apply for an internship with TWB under the Erasmus+ Program.
We accept Erasmus+ interns in the Language Services Team who are looking to improve their skills and gain experience in a number of different areas. Please note, we currently don’t offer any internships in translation.
The minimum duration of your Erasmus+ internship with us should be 4 months, and we will give priority to candidates who can stay for a longer period, (ideally 6 months).
As we are a remote organization, Erasmus+ interns need to be hosted and so we collaborate with a number of hosting partners (generally our LSP supporters) to provide a workplace for Erasmus+ interns.
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a University degree program (preferred degree in translation, communication, or a related field)
- Excellent command of English, both oral and written. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
- Strong communication skills, with a particular focus on intercultural contexts;
- Previous experience in translation and/or interpreting (internships and volunteering are considered valid experiences) is an advantage;
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations is an advantage;
- Familiarity with technology (with a special focus on translation and/or data entry tools) a plus.
This internship position is very dynamic. The right person is an energetic team player and an individual who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely, while interacting regularly with the international team.
Self-starter and able to work independently;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Analytical thinker able to transform ideas into tangible actions;
- Understands that communication in the right language is key to improved humanitarian response;
- Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated;
- Interested in acquiring translation and community management experience;
- Able to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly;
- Has enthusiasm for humanitarian work;
- Reliable and flexible and has the ability to uphold the Core Values of the organization.
If you feel you meet the above qualifications and requirements, please complete the following form and upload your CV and cover letter. If we believe you may be a good match, we will get in touch to arrange a 30 min interview.
Please note: We can only accept interns who receive the Erasmus scholarships.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.