The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation, training of translators, best use of technology, and building translation capacity in underserved languages.
Contract length: 6 months
Hours: 20-40 hours per week
Location: Remote (available during GMT to GMT+2 working hours)
Deadline for applications: 12 January 2020
TWB offers a six-month internship with the opportunity to gain valuable experience within a thriving international non-profit organization.
To assist the Language Services Team in coordinating translation projects, ensuring that they are completed efficiently and within the expectations of TWB management and partner organizations/clients. To coordinate collaboration among translators on specific projects, ensuring engagement, appropriate levels of translation quality, and turnaround.
- Manage specific language service projects as assigned by Partner Coordinators and Project Officers;
- Upload and download project files, run pre- and post-production checks;
- Track project progress and delivery, keep project trackers up-to-date, and provide regular status updates to Partner Coordinators and Project Officers;
- Maintain an organized project environment across platforms, maintaining project records, files and databases as assigned;
- Assist with building and managing translator teams, as well as general translator recruitment, as requested by Project Officers;
- Maintain effective communication with translators throughout the project, ensuring that translators remain engaged throughout the project and have a clear understanding of project expectations;
- Carry out translator communications around translation quality and turnaround, replying to translators’ messages, ensuring task pick-up, flagging issues, etc.;
- Handle other project management tasks as assigned;
- Act in the best interest of the organization during the internship period.
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
- Excellent command of English. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage;
- University degree (preferred degree in linguistics or related field);
- Previous experience in translation and/or interpreting (internships and volunteering are considered valid experiences) is desirable;
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations is desirable;
- Strong writing skills in English;
- Knowledge of CAT tools a plus.
This internship position is very dynamic. The right person is an energetic team player and an individual who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely, while interacting regularly with the international team.
- Strong organizational skills;
- Analytical thinker able to transform ideas into tangible actions;
- Understands that communication in the right language is key to improved humanitarian response;
- Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated;
- Interest in acquiring translation project management experience;
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly;
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.