Contract length: 6 months
Reporting to: Global Researcher
Application deadline: 22 July 2020
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and if the ideal candidate is identified before the closing date, TWB reserves the right to close the recruitment before the application deadline.
The Research Administrative Assistant will support the Global Researcher to build an evidence base for language support needs in humanitarian responses. (S)he will be responsible for supporting research related to language and communication challenges in crisis-affected areas. The Research Administrative Assistant will be responsible for supporting the implementation of mixed-methods research projects, including support to information management, logistics and administration of research, and report writing. The role can evolve, so flexibility and the willingness to adapt to changing circumstances is crucial.
- Support development of data collection tools
- Administer remote surveys using tools such as KoBo
- Conduct secondary research related to language and communication challenges in humanitarian environments
- Support coordination and facilitation of remote focus group discussions, key informant interviews and surveys related to language, comprehension and community engagement
- Ensure accurate documentation of research activities and outcomes
- Support analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
- Produce periodic progress reports
- Organize and maintain research files, ensure all documentation is appropriately filed in the TWB Google Drive
- Provide logistics and administrative support to researchers and external consultants
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and requirements
- At least two years’ experience of managing research data, including data entry, data quality control, data analysis and interpretation, and data visualization
- Experience conducting qualitative and/or quantitative research
- Bachelor’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English
- Professional competency in written and spoken French required. Proficiency in additional languages relevant to crisis/humanitarian assistance is a plus.
- Experience or knowledge of non-profit organizations, especially development or humanitarian organizations
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and reliably, to a high standard and to tight deadlines
- Good organization skills
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team
- Resilience, flexibility, and a good sense of humor
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization