Contract length: 6 months
Hours: 20 to 40, depending on availability
Location: Remote (available during CET core working hours)
Deadline for applications: 1 November 2020
Translators without Borders believe that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers.
TWB recognizes the importance of precise language in communication and translation, and works to provide glossaries and other terminological assets to facilitate vital two-way communication between the people affected and humanitarian responders. This happens both remotely and on the ground. This has the potential to shift the power dynamic in emergencies and international development contexts, placing control of communication and information access in the hands of the people in need of support.
Assist the Quality and Process Coordinator in implementing TWB’s terminology management strategy and ensure TWB is providing quality language services to its non-profit partners and developing valuable resources for its community of translators and the humanitarian industry.
- Provide support in terminology management, including processes such as terminology extraction, documentation, translation and validation, and general terminology base maintenance;
- Assist in QA monitoring, managing non-compliance requests, and reporting on terminology metrics;
- Collaborate with members of the Language Services Team in tasks related to terminology and process management;
- Carry out administrative tasks, data entry, and data collection;
- Act in the best interest of the organization during the internship period;
- Other duties as required.
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a University degree program (preferred degree in translation, communication, or a related field);
- Knowledge of theory and practice of terminology (concept-based approaches, terminology and translation);
- Familiarity with technology (with a special focus on terminology management, corpus management, and/or translation tools) a plus;
- Excellent command of English, both oral and written. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage;
- Strong communication skills, with a particular focus on intercultural contexts;
- Previous experience in translation and/or interpreting (internships and volunteering are considered valid experiences) is an advantage;
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations is an advantage.
This internship position is very dynamic. The right person is an energetic team player and an individual who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely while interacting regularly with the international team.
- Self-starter and able to work independently;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Analytical thinker able to transform ideas into tangible actions;
- Understands that communication in the right language is key to improved humanitarian response;
- Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated;
- Interested in acquiring translation and terminology management experience;
- Able to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly;
- Has enthusiasm for humanitarian work;
- Reliable and flexible and has the ability to uphold the Core Values of the organization.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.