The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation and interpreting, building language translation capacity at a local level, providing translation and simplification services that are culturally appropriate, accessible and open source, and raising awareness globally of language barriers.
Contract length: 6 months
Hours: Part time (50%)- Weekends
Location: Home based (preferably located in GMT to GMT+2 locations)
Application deadline: 24 June 2019
Due to the urgency of the vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
Due to increasing needs Translation Team at TWB is expanding and requires additional support in Project Management.
To assist Project Officers in coordinating translation projects, ensuring that they are completed efficiently and within the expectations of TWB management and partner organizations/clients. To coordinate collaboration among translators on specific projects, ensuring engagement, appropriate levels of translation quality, and turnaround.
● Manage specific translation projects as assigned by Senior Project Manager and Project Officers;
● Upload and download project files, run pre- and post-production checks;
● Track project progress and delivery, keep project trackers up-to-date, and provide regular status updates to Senior Project Manager;
● Maintain an organized project environment across platforms, maintaining project records, files and databases as assigned;
● Assist with building and managing translator teams, as well as general translator recruitment, as requested by Project Officers;
● Maintain effective communication with translators throughout the project, ensuring that translators remain engaged throughout the project and have a clear understanding of project expectations;
● Carry out translator communications around translation quality and turnaround, replying to translators’ messages, ensuring task pick-up, flagging issues, etc.;
● Handle other project management tasks as assigned;
● Act in the best interest of the organization during the internship period.
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
● Excellent command of English. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage;
● University degree (preferred degree in linguistics or related field);
● Previous experience in translation and/or interpreting (internships and volunteering are considered valid experiences) is desirable;
● Previous experience working with non-profit organizations is desirable;
● Strong writing skills in English;
● Knowledge of CAT tools a plus.
This internship position is very dynamic. The right person is an energetic team player and an individual who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely, while interacting regularly with the international team.
● Strong organizational skills;
● Analytical thinker able to transform ideas into tangible actions;
● Understands that communication in the right language is key to improved humanitarian response;
● Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated;
● Interest in acquiring translation project management experience;
● Ability to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly;
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.