The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation and interpreting, building language translation capacity at a local level, providing translation and simplification services that are culturally appropriate, accessible and open source, and raising awareness globally of language barriers.
Contract length: 1 year with possibility of extension
Hours: Full time
Location: Flexible; home-based
Application deadline: 26 February 2018
Click here to apply: https://twb.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/view.php?id=11
Owing to the urgency of the vacancy, screening and interviews will commence immediately and the candidate can be selected at any stage before the closing date.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-registered non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a professional community of translators, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
As operations expand, TWB aims to enhance and maintain the systems required to sustain this growth efficiently. The current scale-up in Bangladesh in response to the Rohingya crisis, the imminent opening of a new country office in Nigeria, and the recent merger of TWB and The Rosetta Foundation all generate additional demands on TWB’s technological capacity.
The TWB Systems Administrator will work closely with the Head of Technology to maintain, upgrade and manage the software systems and web systems used internally within TWB, and externally by humanitarian organizations and our large volunteer community.
- Administer TWB’s cloud-based server infrastructure (Microsoft Azure)
- Monitor system performance daily and troubleshoot issues immediately
- Ensure security through access controls, firewalls and SSL certificates
- Create and verify data backups
- Provide technical support to users of TWB systems and assist users with configuration and content updates
- Develop, maintain and document system installation and configuration procedures
- Configure and maintain web analytics systems
- Carry out the installation and configuration of new systems and upgrade existing systems with new releases
- Research and recommend improvements to TWB’s system infrastructure and processes, proactively and as requested
- Assist with management and user support of cloud-based productivity tools used internally at TWB (G Suite, Slack)
Please note that these roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
- 4+ years’ experience in system administration including a typical open-source web stack
- Degree in a related field or certification
- Advanced knowledge of Linux
- Ability to create scripts in Bash, and to work with scripts written in PHP, Ruby on Rails, SLQ etc.
- Advanced experience with both Apache and Nginx, domain and SSL configuration
- Experience with translation management systems a plus, ideally the open-source MateCat
- Experience with web CMSs a plus, preferably WordPress
- Experience with Docker a plus
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English
- Track record of providing technical user support a plus
- Proactive and collaborative approach to working in a team
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.