Volunteer Language Associate (Kurdish Kurmanji, Kurdish Sorani, Dinka, Haitian Creole)
Contract length: Minimum 6 months
Hours: Minimum 4-6 hours per week
Application deadline: 30 September, 2021
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
Are you the Language Associate we are looking for?
Translators without Borders is looking for volunteer Language Associates to help us provide humanitarian information to people in crisis situations and let them be heard, no matter the language they speak. We need linguists who are fluent in English and who are native speakers of one of the following languages:
- Kurdish Kurmanji
- Kurdish Sorani
- Haitian Creole
The TWB Language Associate role is varied and interesting. As a TWB Language Associate, you’ll be the main contact point for the volunteer linguists who work in your native language. You’ll generally make it easy for them to provide language services to our nonprofit partners. Our partners don’t always have the resources to communicate directly with people affected by humanitarian crises. Our Language Associates help us to fill those critical language gaps and increase our impact and effectiveness.
If you join our rapidly expanding team of Language Associates, you will have the opportunity to be trained and support TWB on a variety of tasks. For example, you’ll:
- Help engage and manage our Community of volunteer linguists.
- Advise and support on external recruitment strategies.
- Create resources such as Style Guides for your language of reference.
- Contribute to glossaries and terminology bases.
- Participate in the management of community engagement activities and communications.
- Assess the quality of the translations of our Community.
- Other tasks as needs arise and availability allows.
You’ll do all of that while you work from home at times that suit you. We look for a commitment of around 6 hours per week. You will have the chance to support the day-to-day work of an international organization with a vibrant, global team.
You’ll receive training and hands-on experience.
TWB Language Associate is an unpaid volunteer role. The role offers you a chance to develop new skills and contacts in the language services industry and humanitarian sector.
We’ll provide training in relevant areas including:
- Computer-Assisted Translation tools (CAT tools)
- Recruitment of volunteers and mentoring
- Community management and engagement
You don’t need formal translator qualifications or experience.
You just need:
- Native knowledge of one of the languages listed above
- A high standard of written and spoken English
- The willingness to proactively interact with volunteer translators and motivate them to support TWB
- A reliable internet connection
You’ll find more information about Translators without Borders on our website, including examples of the work we do and the partners we support. If you think you’d make a great TWB Language Associate, or you have some questions about the role, contact us at [email protected]
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the nonprofit sector.
- Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and conduct themselves professionally at all times.