Hours: Full time
Location: Home based, preferable available during working hours in Europe
Application deadline: 30 January 2019
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a professional community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year. In 2013, TWB created the first-ever crisis relief translation service, Words of Relief, which has responded to crises every year since.
The Head of Development and Communications will work closely with the Executive Director to manage the development and implementation of TWB’s global fundraising and communications programs, to help TWB reach core stakeholders with its vision: A world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The post holder will be a part of the leadership team.
The right candidate will work closely with all other teams to ensure that TWB’s advocacy, communications and fundraising goals are met. S/he will develop new funding opportunities, particularly for new innovations/initiatives, and ensure that the organization has a sustainable funding base. S/he will work with program, translation and technology teams to communicate advocacy messaging appropriately, targeting the right audiences via traditional media, social media, website, and other outlets. In keeping with the spirit of innovation, the leadership team will rely on the Head of Development and Communications to develop new and creative fundraising and influencing strategies.
- Lead fundraising and communications across the organization, overseeing the development and implementation of relevant plans and strategies
- Advise the leadership on innovative communications and fundraising tools, ensuring integration across the organization.
- Research and secure funding for new programs and innovations.
- Create and implement strategy to retain and increase individual donors and sponsorships.
- Oversee all activities for maintaining and growing unrestricted funding sources, including but not limited to, sponsorships, corporate giving and matching, fundraising events, private sector engagement.
- Build relationships with private sector foundations and trusts; ensure funding streams with private sector.
- Develop and modify grant proposals and proposals with support from program teams.
- Oversee and develop the earned income funding stream from partnership packages.
- Support outreach team during annual renewal process with partners; lead costing of non-profit partner packages.
- Lead board fundraising efforts.
- Develop strategic marketing and communications plans and policies.
- Lead TWB media and communications strategy.
- Support global marketing and awareness programs, including digital programs and conferences.
- Work with Executive Director and Senior Communications Officer on re-branding and re-design of website.
- Support enhanced marketing communications, public relations and social media activities.
- Manage fundraising, social media and marketing communications staff.
- Ensure excellent relationships with key regional and international journalists, and with representatives of other NGOs, etc.
- Proactively seek opportunities for the furthering of TWB messaging.
- Identify and help develop talking points/Q&As for potential sensitive issues and inform the leadership team.
- Support the TWB Board and Executive Director to monitor agreed benchmarks.
TWB is seeking an energetic team player with some experience in fundraising and communications in the international humanitarian or development sector. S/he should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities, master’s preferred.
- 5-10 years experience in fundraising and communications in an international setting.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills. Writing sample will be required.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and producing quality content for fundraising proposals, media and multi-faceted communications.
- Demonstrated experience in working with and building funding streams, especially sponsors and donors.
- Demonstrated interest in language issues.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using online CRM tools and communications tools, such as Salesforce, Neon, WordPress, MailChimp and/or design programs.
- Willingness to work in a small team with a range of team members.
- Willingness to explore different outreach mechanisms, electronic and in person.
- Resourceful, able to self direct.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.