Kató is the improved and expanded translation platform, formerly known as the Translators without Borders (TWB) Workspace, and it is where much of the magic happens. Kató connects over 500 non-profit partners with a diverse community of volunteer translators and many other language services.
Kató - Bridging the language gap
First established as the TWB Workspace in 2011 following a collaboration between TWB and ProZ.com, the online platform has since helped non-profit partners such as Doctors without Borders, Refugee Aid and Save the Children to share essential information in local languages and to translate over 50 million words.
Today, the revamped Kató is more robust than ever with computer-assisted translation tools, functionality for storing common words and taxonomies and even bigger incentives for the community. Translators can now use Kató to interpret for all media, including providing subtitles and voiceovers for videos. The platform is even being used to train fluent speakers of languages that desperately need more translators and interpreters.
What the Kató community is saying
“It is both amazing and also very comforting and inspiring to see people donate their time and skills to defend the principles of action and the ideas of humanitarian assistance.” Doctors without Borders
“I wanted to thank you sincerely for all of your hard work coordinating these translations… I hope we can push them out fast enough to refugees so they really make an impact!” International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
Become part of the Kató community
Join as a translator
Make a difference to people’s lives by becoming a volunteer translator
- Professional profile listing your languages, skills, reviews and badges
- Alerts to new tasks, from the partners or causes you care about
- Save time with in-line suggested text and other translation tools
- More incentives: LinkedIn endorsements and translator badges, plus free subscriptions and special vouchers coming soon
Join as a non-profit partner
Connect with professional translators who are regularly gifting their language expertise
- Easily upload and send new alerts about your translation tasks
- Simple view to check on progress and review content
- All translations sense-checked by language specialists
- Video subtitling, dubbing and machine translation available
There is a small annual fee for Kató users to maintain and further develop the system. Find out more.