The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people access to vital knowledge in their language through translation, training of translators, best use of technology, and building translation capacity in underserved languages.
Location: Home based, preferable available during working hours in Europe.
Application Deadline: 25 January 2018 inclusive.
Click here to apply
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a professional community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year. In 2013, TWB created the first-ever crisis relief translation service, Words of Relief, which has responded to crises every year since.
The Communications Senior Officer will lead the development and implementation of TWB’s global communications and media program, to help TWB reach core stakeholders with its vision: A world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The overall goal of the communications and media program is to support the organization, including the fundraising, advocacy and program teams, through a robust communications program with the following measurable objectives:
- Increased media coverage of language issues in humanitarian/development contexts and of TWB throughout industry and general publications.
- Improved success of targeted fundraising campaigns.
- High-level of quality content disseminated through various channels and mechanisms.
- Measured growth in reach of communications vehicles, including social media, blog and website.
The Senior Officer will work closely with the Deputy Director, the Advocacy Senior Officer and the External Affairs Director to achieve results. The role will develop and execute on the communications plan, the website and the annual report. In keeping with the spirit of innovation, the leadership team will rely on the Senior Officer to develop new and creative influencing strategies.
- Execute strategic marketing and communications plans and policies.
- Work with Deputy Director to develop the TWB media and communications strategy.
- Support and implement global marketing and awareness programs, including digital programs and website.
- Support fundraising team through targeted communication efforts.
- Produce Annual Report.
- Support enhanced marketing communications, public relations and social media activities.
- Oversee social media and marketing communications staff person(s).
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with key regional and international journalists, and with representatives of other NGOs, etc.
- Proactively seek opportunities for the furthering of TWB messaging.
- Act as the main point of contact for media and respond to requests for information from journalists, including arranging interviews and field visits.
- Prepare, distribute and log press releases.
- Conduct regular field visits to interview staff and beneficiaries, write human interest stories and take photos and video.
- Give media training for designated spokespeople; give immediate training for anyone doing an interview.
- Disseminate information (updates, stories, talking points and Q&As, blogs etc).
- Regularly provide high-resolution, good quality digital images of TWB’s work.
- Support the development of videos and other media of TWB’s work.
- Identify and create talking points/Q&As for potential sensitive issues and inform the leadership team.
TWB is seeking an energetic team player with some experience in advocacy in the humanitarian or development sector. S/he should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate agrees with TWB’s basic beliefs and values and can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities, master’s preferred.
- 3 – 5 years experience in communications and/or media relations in an international setting.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills. Writing sample will be required.
- Demonstrated experience drafting and producing quality content for online communications and marketing
- Demonstrated interest in language issues.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using online marketing tools, such as WordPress, MailChimp and design programs.
- Willingness to work in a small team with a range of team members.
- Willingness to explore different outreach mechanisms, electronic and in person.
- Resourceful, able to self direct.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.